House destroyed in Saturday blaze
The Berkeley Springs Volunteer Fire Company, assisted by other area departments, fought a house fire at Suba Court off Tabor Road on Saturday afternoon, June 9.
At about 12:20 p.m., Fire Chief Todd Ruppenthal reported heavy black smoke could be seen for miles coming from the residence.
When the squad arrived. flames were already shooting throughout the roof and along the right side of the house.
Due to the intensity of the fire in the roof, crews were forced to fight the flames from the outside. A ruptured propane tank shooting flames 20 feet in the air next to the house caused further complications.
So much water was used that two additional tankers had to be called in. They filled at the pond near Dawson’s Home Center.
“That’s one thing you don’t want to do, to run out of water,” Chief Ruppenthal said.
Two of the fighters were treated for heat exhaustion, high temperatures taking a toll.
“The guys did an excellent job, and everyone went home safe,” Ruppenthal said.
Firefighters had the fire knocked down in 30 minutes, but stuck around three hours for cleanup.
Units were on hand from Morgan, Berkeley, Washing-ton, Allegheny and Frederick Counties, as well as Morgan County Rescue and Washing-ton County Air and Rehab units.