Four injured in explosion
Three people suffered burns and one was injured by falling debris in a flash fire at a camper trailer around 10 p.m. on Sunday night, July 15.
The camper was parked at the Sleepy Creek campground in northeast Morgan County off of River Road.
According to Berkeley Springs Assistant Fire Chief James Steiner, the fire started when a female occupant of the camper tried to light a propane stove.
She was burned over 95% of her body and transported to City Hospital in Martinsburg. From there, the victim was flown to a burn center in Pittsburgh.
Two other female occupants of the 12 x 24 ft. camper, one adult and one child, were also burned and transported to Washington County Hospital, said Steiner. The extent of their injuries was unknown, but they were not believed to be life threatening.
A male occupant of the camper, who was hit by falling debris, was treated and released. Steiner said names of the victims had not been released.
According to Steiner, the call that went out from dispatch said that two trailers were burning at the campground. Units from Berkeley Springs, Hancock, Little Orleans, Great Cacapon, South Morgan County and Hedgesville fire departments responded to the scene.
The fire took less than 15 minutes to put out.
Morgan County Rescue transported the victims to the hospital. Morgan County Sheriff's Department and Morgan County Office of Emergency Services also responded to the scene.
State Fire Marshal Matt Hutchinson conducted an investigation at the campground on Monday, July 16. It was not immediately known whether the leak that caused the fire was in the stove, tank or connecting hose.